Solar thermal systems use free heat from the sun to warm domestic hot water. A conventional boiler or immersion heater can be used to make the water hotter, or to provide hot water when solar energy is unavailable.
Benefits of solar thermal-
- The system works all year round so you will be supplied with hot water throughout the year. But you will need to heat the water further with a boiler or immersion heating during the winter months.
- Cut your bills: sunlight is free, so once you have paid for the initial installation your hot water costs will be reduced.
- Cut your carbon footprint: solar thermal is a green, renewable heating system and can reduce your carbon dioxide emissions.
- The panels require little or no maintenance and will generate heat from daylight even in cold or cloudy conditions.
How the system works-
Solar thermal heating systems use solar panels, called collectors, fitted to your roof. These collect heat from the sun and use it to heat up water which is stored in a hot water cylinder. A boiler or immersion heater can be used as a back up to heat the water further to reach the temperature you want.
There are two types of solar thermal heating panels:
- Evacuated tubes
- Flat plate collectors, which can be fixed on the roof tiles or integrated into the roof.
Larger solar panels can also be arranged to provide some contribution to heating your home as well. However, the amount of heat provided is generally very small and it is not normally considered worthwhile.
You may be able to receive payments for the heat you generate from a solar thermal heating system through the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive.
This technology is also an eligible measure under the UK government’s Green Deal which is a financing mechanism that lets people pay for energy-efficiency improvements through savings on their energy bills. Further information on Green Deal.
Solar Thermal Manufacturer-
Rogerson Homeserve+ provide the best quality solar thermal panels, sourcing them from the prestigious heating manufacturers Vaillant. Vaillant have over 140 years’ experience in the heating market and within this time have revolutionised the industry through the products that they have created. Throughout this time, they have grown to be the second-largest European manufacturer in the heating technology sector and they are also rapidly growing in the ventilation and air conditioning technology markets. As a result, you can have complete confidence in the product you are using knowing that it has come from such a respected company. For more information visit Vaillant.