Air Source Heat Pumps
Air source heat pumps absorb heat from the outside air. This heat can then be used to heat radiators, underfloor heating systems, or warm air convectors and hot water in your home. They extract heat from the outside air in the same way that a fridge extracts heat from its inside. They can get heat from the air even when the temperature is as low as -15°C.
Benefits of Air Source Heat Pumps-
- They can lower your fuel bills, especially if you’re replacing conventional electric heating.
- They can provide you with an income through the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI).
- They have the potential to lower your home’s carbon emissions.
- They need little maintenance – they’re called ‘fit and forget’ technology.
- They don’t need fuel deliveries.
- They’re quicker and cheaper to install compared to ground source heat pumps.
How the system works-
Heat from the air is absorbed at a low temperature into a fluid. This fluid then passes through a compressor where its temperature is increased, and transfers its higher temperature heat to the heating and hot water circuits of the house. There are two main types of air source heat pump system:
- An air-to-water system distributes heat via your wet central heating system. Heat pumps work much more efficiently at a lower temperature than a standard boiler system would. So they are more suitable for underfloor heating systems or larger radiators, which give out heat at lower temperatures over longer periods of time.
- An air-to-air system produces warm air which is circulated by fans to heat your home. They are unlikely to provide you with hot water as well.
You may be able to receive payments for the heat you generate using a heat pump through the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI).
This technology is also an eligible measure under the UK government’s Green Deal which is a financing mechanism that lets people pay for the energy-efficiency improvements through savings on their energy bills. Read more about the Green Deal.
Air Source Heat Pump Manufacturers-
As a company, we primarily install Vaillant and Glow Worm air source heat pumps. For more than 140 years, Vaillant has been setting the standards in the heating market, creating products that have revolutionised the industry, from water heaters in the early 1900’s, to pioneering the ‘combi’ boiler over 35 years ago. In its core business of heating technologies the company is the second-largest European manufacturer in this sector. In addition, the Vaillant Group is also active in ventilation and air-conditioning technology markets. For more information visit Vaillant.
Glow Worm has a heritage spanning 75 years in the heating business. Glow Worm is the well-known and trusted British brand that delivers value for money heating and hot water systems you can rely on, allowing you to get on with your life in comfort. In the 1990’s Glow Worm led the way by developing one of the first condensing boilers; a technology which is now fitted as standard in million’s of people’s homes across the UK. For more information visit Glow Worm.